Sunday, April 10, 2011

COMEDY EVENT: Fear of a Brown Planet Attack with Amer & Nazeem


I had a bellyful of laughs watching the Fear of the Brown Planet Boys and their recent fresh material gig as a part of the 2011 Melbourne Comedy Festival. I seriously love these guy's take on predominately sensitive topics that no comedian ever dare risk it as most "fear" of screwing up. But these boy's comedy line up continues to pack a punch consistently the whole entire jam. Nothing was forceful and every bit of material was super juicy. Just imagine, outrageously offensive prone topics done in such an unthinkable way, with lots of twists and turns.

I came back for more on the next late night to watch their collaboration show "political asylum" featuring headline act, Will Anderson. The Brown Planet boys got a roar of laughters, however amongst them, were people (who were obviously non "Brown") not really flinching, and that got me thinking - with comedy like that, is it bound to offend someone? Will there be white people who find it particularly off the ball and just plain "racial/ reverse racial" discrimination? I mean, I enjoyed the refreshing content but felt a little guilty when the woman sitting next to me seemed like she's just been singled out and "attacked".

Comedy is a tricky thing and to some degree - relative.

No comments:

Post a Comment