Wednesday, April 13, 2011

EPIC FAIL: Quest for Jackie Chan just doesn’t cut it for Australian Film Television & Radio School (AFTRS)

You know, Quest for Jackie Chan! seems to not cut it for any grants these days. I seriously have been trying and trying to maybe get this one accepted, somewhere, somehow, some funding bodies will get it. So I thought – initially. After either getting knockback from way too many funding orgs and being snubbed off time and time again. This time, even worse, I didn’t even cut it to the shortlist of 50 applications. I spoke to my colleagues and it means one of two things, the other shortlisted projects were also 2 years in the making or my project was some sort of elaborate lie, that I must of forged all the letters of supports, and photoshopped all the people I met around Australia and HK.

“Maybe the project looked too good to be true” another colleague comment.

“Or maybe I should have dumbed it down a bit and not be too fanciful with the multimedia elements. You know, play the I’m a poor ethnic card, make more cultural stories…like refugees and settlement in Australia…”

“Maria, you know how racist this country is. Why the heck would they want to do kung fu action of pay homage to another Asian, even if its Jackie Chan”.

“We can’t deduct that Australia’s most prestigious film school is an “exclusive” film club right? They are not racist?” I interjected.

“You tell me. Movies that make money are action and even the martial arts genre gets a mention. Dramas aren’t even on the list, yet AFTRS students seem to be churning out more and more kitchen sink wanky dramas every single year. I have yet to see the nation’s prestigious film school take a crack at a money making genre, a genre that on the level of politics, connects Australia more with Asia.”

I pondered about this further. Its true, Australian filmmakers most often can woo other Australian filmmakers with their over confident biographies.

“Joe Doe is an awarding winning film director whose directed numerous wanky film festivals such as “Battler in love”, “Kitchensink and wrist slashing dramas” and “I’m an Ethnic”. You’ll also meet Joe & Co. whoring around film networking functions shoving business cards in your face and claiming that they have some vague project in development. Joe is quite online media savvy, with a slick website, so-so serious monochromatic headshot and self made interviews of themselves on their journeys as an Australian film director.

Yes…the conversation drowned my mind out.

After all that back chat, and all that short term relieve it got me, it doesn’t change the fact that the “Quest for Jackie Chan!” will no longer waste more time in applying for film or art grants but to battle this one on a D.I.Y level and as “no budget” it can ever get.

Out of the midst of things, I’m far from alone. After breaking news to my near and dearest in the film world, it just hit me funds is no deterrent. My fellow colleagues such as Adrian Castro who is kicking my butt for feeling sorry for myself and Vanna Seang, who has all the latest film gizmos, film cranes , tracks dollies etc… in the world is ready to shoot at the get go. Down in Melbourne, I’ve got supporter Somchay P. who is a constant reminder of my quest and Craig Anderson, my long time film mentor who wants to play Sammo Hung! There are plenty more to name, but it takes until now to finally realise that everything is at my disposal. I have a team of extraordinary people who believe in my vision and what I stand for and all I have to do is say when.

So whats happening now? The quest is emerging at the forefront of my mind. I’m taking out all the notes I’ve taken so far to recollect what I envisioned the “Quest” to be about. It is about me, and my journey (as well as a shared journey) in meeting Jackie Chan. I’m not sure how to describe the outcome I have in my mind, but I know it will be wack as and unexpected, especially if you know how my mind operates.

8 comments:

  1. GO Maria, BELIEVE IN YOURSELF! It is a tough industry, but your tenacity will overcome all trials and tribulations no doubt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahmed Salama: What are you waiting for? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ashley Carruthers: hm, good question. can an australian filmmaker of migrant/refugee background be "allowed" to make a film that is not about "my assimilation crisis/my search for roots" (e.g. Alibrandi)?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ben Teoh: This is what the Quest is about right? It's an adventure and it's constantly changing. You're living in an exciting space right now, Maria. Stick it out and see where it takes you!
    Thursday at 3:31pm

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tuan Lydang: I see this as a blessing in disguise - I haven't seen you this inspired and ready to get down to business in a long time. Although, to be honest, I haven't known you for that long haha

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anna Chen hi Maria!! just read the full entry @mariatran85, and can only say, YOU GO GIRL!!! They dont get your vision, but thats coz their brains are SMALL. Keep up the good work, and we hopes to see more good news about you, one of our Alpha Australian Heroes !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Eric Lam: Just wondering did you end up meeting up with Jackie Chan?

    ReplyDelete