Sunday, April 10, 2011

Internet R.I.P: Jackie Chan

I was spewing when I heard a rumour that beloved Jackie had passed away from a heart attack. A part of me was the failure to learn as much as possible from this notorious icon before the anticipated meeting (when I finish most of the "Quest" film) and to even think of such thing, was unimaginable.

I recall thinking about that earlier in the project. Someone brought up the "What if" scenario. I replied with "as if". As if Jackie Chan would die. He's done bla films, broken bla bones and looks exactly like my dad. How often do you think about your father dead? Never! It would never cross my mind, as most of the time, the people who are closest to you, are always immortal in your mind. You never think about and you take them for granted. That's the same thing with Jackie. After my trip to HK and chatting with some of his closest colleagues, I came to discover more depth about people's varying perceptions.

People just don't realise how hard this guy has worked his whole life. I recall doing a guest lecture at the University of Hong Kong and to my discoveries, finding out all the negative connotations the "Jackie Chan brand" elicits amongst the young people.

"He's too old!", "He's done this, he's done that", "Do you really know what he's like?"

Personally I don't, nor do I care about the finer details but I'm just inspired by what "Quest for Jackie Chan!" can create, which is the old school connection with the new wave filmmakers and storytellers.

Anyhow, false alarm everyone, Jackie Chan is still alive and well and still making movies. Let that be a lesson to everyone and all those people who are so easily swayed by what's in the media. Unless you can top Jackie Chan, in the meantime, sit down and shut up.

Love y'all

oxoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment